Dismal Failure with Jupiter

This evening I went out with the new Digi-T adapter I got for my Olympus D-460 digital still camera to try and my hand a Jupiter.

I found it extremely difficult to target thru the camera LCD as it was attached over the lense of the telescope. With a 2X Barlow on it was practically impossible. The motorized slewing of the scope seems sloppy at any speed and between 4X and 8X slewing speed it jumps from “too slow” to “too fast” IMHO. Also i’m going to chaulk some of the blame up to the fact that this was my first polar alignment with this scope and I was probably off a bit.

At any rate, the D-460 is pretty limited and without any manual control over the exposure time I pretty much got a whole lot of pictures of what appears to be an over-exposed, washed out star instead of the Jupiter I saw at the eyepiece.

So there’s nothing really to post as far as a reasonable image so I’m not going to bother. Suffice it to say though I did learn alot and I’m looking forward to next time.

I also expect my Meade Lunar Planetary Imager (LPI) to arrive any day now. It will be interesting to see if makes any difference.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.